Read this Blog in Any Language - Refresh for English

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Art of Ascendancy-Chardi Kala as described in the Sikhism and Interfaith-VII

You see for His refuge the word feet is not usually used it is the word Charan Kamal, meaning the operating power working in the creation. He works with Word and for Him, the Thought or Will and action are one that is simultaneous. The actions occur in Him without affecting Him. In Gurbani, it is compared with water of the sea, that whatever happens in the water may produce flows, waves, and tides but does not affect the water.

The water remains so though appearing in different forms. The forms are due to different actions taking place in the sea. The action according to its way of action is named, as one action that produces the trough and crust is named wave, the rising and falling down of water due to the Moon is named tides and so on. The similar example is that of the color of the water; whatever color is added to it, it takes the shade of that color.

For example if one adds blue color, it appears blue, if yellow is added it appears yellow. The color of the water changes not the water. It is true with the adjectives that we add to ourselves. If the sentence is that 'I' am good or bad, it does not affect 'I'. However, we have so many adjectives added to ‘I’ that our identity is lost. In old days, people used to use the word 'We', instead of 'I'.

The most amazing point of concern is that this very use of the word did not have the same meaning and effect as that of I. The word “I” is representations of ego and possessions. Just considering it, in the family if one says, “I want to serve you” it does not have the same feelings as saying: “We need to serve”.

In the householder's life and even otherwise, if the husband keeps on repeating word 'I', and wife too, the bond of affection goes down because the effect of the word “We” is not there. We claim that it is understood that word “we” is hidden in “I”, yet the word “I” by itself is hidden.

We can understand the meaning of ‘We’ but not of ‘I’, because ‘I’ is not body, mind, heart, etc., rather it the consciousness in which I is attributed to a soul. The soul by its virtue of existence does not do any action. On the other hand the word we does not represent soul, souls are always one, as the concept of zeros when added remain zero.

The words he, she, they, other and we are in the form of the pronouns except for the word ‘I’, do represent body, mind and heart, for example as when we say 'They', the feeling of “I-ness” is not present. There is the depth in which we seldom like to go to and it is the power, energy and force of thoughts of ‘I’, when we learn to use the conscience as the ‘I’. Thanks!


© Dr. Harmander Singh (© Protected and archived by WorldWideOCR.com Seal™ File)

No comments:

Post a Comment